Churches

There are more than twenty Catholic, three Protestant and a few churches of smaller congregations in Bielsko-Biała. All are used for religious purposes.

The churches are not aimed at tourists, so there are no official visiting hours and they are always free of charge. If you want to visit a church, your best option is to come before or after a mass. Churches might be open longer during Christmas or Easter time, when you can see the Nativity Scene and the Grave of Jesus displayed. Visiting church during the ceremonies most likely will be seen as rude, so better not to do it. Remember to take off your hat and stay quiet once inside.

 

Cathedral of St. Nicholas (Katedra Św. Mikołaja)

saint nicholas church bielsko biala

Scan the horizon of the Old Town and chances are you will find your eyes settling on the 61 meters high tower of the St. Nicholas Church. It is the main Roman Catholic Church in Bielsko-Biała, raised in the first half of the 15th century, originally in the Gothic style. The church did not survive in its original shape, as it was destroyed numerous times by fire. It was extensively remodelled over the centuries, and finally in the years 1908-1910, the church was rebuilt completely according to the designs of a Viennese architect Leopold Bauer.

What to see inside?
- Chapel of the Virgin Mary – one of the oldest part of the church with a copy of the famous painting from Czestochowa
- a triptych altar with a 19th century painting presenting the image of the church’s patron St. Nicholas
- the Stations of the Cross from 1960s
- organs from 1920
- late 19th century stained glass windows with figures of saints
- Art Nouveau stained glass-stain windows from 1912
- a plaque on the north wall of the church with the names of parishioners who died in World War I.

Address: pl. Św. Mikołaja 16
Phone: +48 33 829 26 00
Web: www.katedra.bielsko.pl  

 

Church of St. Stanislav (Kościół Św. Stanisława)

saint stanislav church bielsko biala

The church is situated outside of the city centre, in the area called the Old Bielsko (Stare Bielsko). If you have some free time, don’t hesitate to visit this oldest church in the city. Although from the outside the church resembles a typical ordinary village church, it hides numerous unique treasures.

This brick church was constructed in 1358, probably replaced earlier wooden chapel from 1135 (indicated by the engraved date over the entrance to the church), which allegedly stood on the site of an ancient pagan place of worship. Like all the churches in Bielsko-Biała, the church of St. Stanislaus was rebuilt several times, but it still has number of features and artefacts that make it the most valuable church in the city. A cemetery from the early medieval times with a fenced stone wall from the 15th century surrounds the church (although you won’t see any medieval graves).

What to see inside?
- a Gothic presbytery, stone portals and ribbed vaults
- polychromes from the late 16th century
- a 16th century bell
- a triptych painted on basswood with scenes of Bishop Stanislaus from 1500
- a baptismal font from 1600
- Wooden, iron plated doors from 1500 

Address: ul. Św. Stanisława 6 (Stare Bielsko)
Phone: +48 33 815 15 60
Location: bus no.: 18, 24, 35 

 

Wooden Church of St. Barbara (Kościół Św. Barbary)

saint barbara wooden church bielsko biala

The church of St. Barbara lies on the trail of wooden architecture of Silesia and is an excellent example of a rural religious architecture typical to this part of Poland. The church was built in 1690, on the side of two previous churches, in Mikuszowice Krakowskie, back then a village, now a district of Bielsko-Biała. The bell tower was added later on, in the 18th century. Interestingly, in 1796, the church was auctioned and purchased by the peasants of Mikuszowice. It is surrounded by an old medieval cemetery, with a mid-18th century fence and several graves from the 19th century, including some of the members of the local noble family. It’s not easy to find this church, but it’s well worth the effort.

What to see inside?
- a Gothic statue of the Virgin and Child from 1420
- an early 18th century altar with the image of St. Barbara
- a copy of the gothic triptych brought from Wawel Cathedral in Cracow in 1692 (original was created in 1470)
- 17th century Baroque side altars, statues, wall-paintings, baptismal fonts
- the Stations of the Cross from the 19th century

Address: ul. Cyprysowa 25
Phone: +48 33 819 01 50
web: www.mikuszowice.duszpasterstwa.bielsko.pl 
Location: Mikuszowice, bus no. 10

 

Lutheran Church of the Saviour (Kościół Zbawiciela)

lutheran church bielsko biala

The Church of the Saviour stands proudly in the old Protestant quarter in Bielsko called the Zion of Bielsko. It is one of three Lutheran churches in Bielsko-Biała. It was built in 1790, and less than 20 years later destroyed by fire, but rebuilt within a year. In the mid-19th century, the tower was added and the church was transferred into the neo-Gothic style, both internally and externally. In front of the church stands a statue of Martin Luther from 1900, it is the only monument of this religious reformer in Poland.

What to see inside?
- a neo-Gothic altar surrounded by a balustrade
- a sermon pulpit with a canopy
- chandeliers, baptismal font, organs
- a painting "Crucifixion of Christ" from 1867 by D. Penthera
- a collection of protestant manuscripts
- a chapel dedicated to the memory of local and Polish pastors murdered in German concentration camps in 1939-1945

Address: pl. Marcina Lutra 12
Phone: +48 33 815 00 35
Location: Zion, near the Old Town Square 

 

Church of the Holy Trinity (Kościół Trójcy Przenajświętszej)

bielsko biala church holy trinity 01

Built nearby the Cathedral in 1608, originally it was the first Protestant church in Bielsko. This brick construction replaced an early wooden church. Only 46 years later the church was taken over by the Catholics. For nearly 200 years, both the local Protestants and Catholics were buried in the churchyard that was later turned into a garden. Throughout the centuries,  the church was rebuild several times and therefore it lacks a unified style.

What to see inside?
- a Baroque painting of St. Anthony from the 18th century
- a 18th century crucifix and small organs from the late 19th century
- neo-Renaissance confessionals
- a neo-Gothic sculpture of the Madonna and Child from 1929
- numerous plaques commemorating Polish and local commanders and soldiers

Address: ul. Sobieskiego 10a, B-B
Phone: +48 33 812 56 57
Location: near the Old Town Square   

 

Church of Divine Providence (Kościół Opatrzności Bożej)

church bielsko biala catholic 

It is a late Baroque church from the 1760s that is considered one of the prettiest churches in Bielsko-Biała. Its decorative façade visible through the numerous chestnut trees draws attention. Until 1790, the church was surrounded by a cemetery that was later moved 300 meters further away. Many of famous citizens were buried there.

What to see inside?
- a pulpit in the shape of a fishing boat from the 17th century
- Baroque side alters
- the Stations of the Cross from the late 19th century
- stained glass windows with figures of the Apostles from 19th century

Address: pl. Opatrzności Bożej 19
Phone: +48 33 814 45 07
Location: Biała 

 

Church of the Sacred Heart of Lord Jesus (Kościół Najświetszego Serca Pana Jezusa)

church bielsko biala heart lord jesus

This is the newest church in Bielsko-Biała and an excellent example of the late-modernist style. Built in 1981-1986, it replaced a small chapel that stood there for 26 years. The construction of this new church was carried out solely by donations from parishioners who also actively participated in the process of building. 

What to see inside?
- the Stations of the Cross and a metalwork altar with a figure of Christ by a well-known artist Bronislaw Chromy.

Address: ul. Traugutta 12
Phone: +48 33 819 12 12
Location: Behind the bus station  

 


t m